Collagen Induction Therapy -CIT is a cosmetic procedure that is used for the treatment of a wide variety of skin imperfections. It is also known as – Micro needling.
Collagen Induction Therapy procedure involves the use of small sterilized needle to prick the surface of the skin carefully. During the pricking process, small wounds are produced, when these wounds heal, they initiate and facilitate the production of collagen and elastin by the body.
This cosmetic procedure is more like a trick process that forces your body to heal self-inflicted but mild injuries by production of collagen and elastin. It can be done on parts of the body such as –
SKIN CONDITIONS THAT RECQUIRE COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY.
Below are some common skin conditions that one may have, and thus the need to opt for micro-needling. They are;-
- Alopecia – hair loss
- Stretch marks –
- Hyperpigmentation –
- Scars –
- Acne –
- Sun damage –
- Large pore problem –
- Wrinkles –
COMPARISON BETWEEN COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY & LASER TREATMENT.
|COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY||LASER TREATMENT|
|It is less expensive||It is more expensive-costs four times more than the collagen induction therapy process|
|Short recovery time||Long recovery time|
|May work better for people with darker skin tone – since it doesn’t involve the use of heat that may affect skin pigmentation or color.||Can be used as a means of treatment in all skin type.|
|Fewer side effects||More side effects|
COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY EXPERTS
Although the procedure of micro-needling is not rocket science, it shouldn’t be carried out with reckless abandon or put under the care and supervision of incapable hands.
Board certified dermatologists and aestheticians are the authorized personnel’s allowed to carry out the micro-needling procedure. Before embarking on any cosmetic procedure, bluebloodz.com Editor advises that you do proper and meticulous background research on – the processes involved, the experience of the handler, and their credentials……
COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY NEEDLE
The most popular micro-needling device is a derma roller. It comprises of small fine needles that range from 0.5 to 2.5 millimeters in diameter. Its prickliness on the skin is only surface level deep.
COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY PROCEDURE
The procedure involved are as follow;-
- Cleaning of the face ( sterilization )
- Use of numbing cream to soothe the face and reduce pain of needle pricking
- Movement of a pen shaped or rolling tool with tiny needles around the face
- The needle makes small cuts or incision on the surface of the skin- leading to bleeding.
- Your doctor afterwards spreads a cream or serum over your facial skin.
The procedure requires 10-20 minutes maximum, depending on the largeness of the area to be worked on. Depending on individuality, 4-6 treatments may be required to see result.
CLEANING THE DERMA ROLLER (NEEDLE)
It is important you follow the cleaning instruction written on your device manual if any. Cleaning here usually involves – rinsing the roller in soap and water, and then soaking it in isopropyl alcohol.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY.
The side effects experienced may vary from one patient to another. They are as follows;-
- Redness or mild irritation – day 1
- Swollen skin
- Dryness of the skin
- Increased Skin sensitivity
ADVANTAGES OF COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY.
- It can be done in comfort – office or home
- General Improvement of the skin over time- collagen and elastin experiences a 400% increase depending on the number of successful sessions a patient can undergo.
- The derma roller can be supercharged using hydrating serums – hyaluronic acid, niacinamide,antioxidants etc.
- It stimulate dormant hair follicles – new hair growth the derma rcan also help reduce sagging skin and cellulite
- The derma roller can be paired with other skin care regimen or treatments
DISADVANTAGES OF COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY.
- Frequent micro-needling can lead to broken capillaries
- Abuse of it, can make skin look plastic
- It gives temporary results- do not last long
- To get lasting effect and result, combination of micro-needling with radio frequency treatment is important
WHAT TO DO AFTER COLLAGEN INDUCTION THERAPY.
- Be gentle on your skin
- Do not – wash the skin, expose to high heat, or sweat too much.
- Load up on serums
- If prone to cold sore, treat with antibiotics to prevent infection
Although Collagen Induction Therapy is generally safe, less expensive and effective, it is not recommended or medically advisable for the following group of persons ;-
- People who have past history of radiation treatments
- People who have past and present history of skin disease
- People who have a history of scarring or poor wound healing
- People with active infections or open wounds.
Find this article helpful??? Your feedback is welcomed. Thank you for Reading!!!!