The Federal Government and the United States on Tuesday met on the visa ban on some categories of Nigerians.
The meeting held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provided Nigeria the opportunity to brief the US government on steps taken so far to resolve the issues.
The Nigerian delegation is headed by the Permanent Secretary, MFA, Amb. Mustapha Sulaiman, while the American side is headed by the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Leonard.
Also in attendance is the Comptroller-General of Immigration, Muhammad Babandede, and senior officials from relevant ministries, departments, and agencies.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb. Mustapha Sulaiman, said Nigeria has accomplished almost 90 per cent of the requirements by the US government which led to the ban on some categories of migrant visas imposed on the country in January.
President Donald Trump had on January 31, expanded the curbs on immigration visas to Nigeria and six other countries for failing to meet the US Security and information sharing standards.
Briefing journalists, Sulaiman said FG has put a lot of effort into meeting the requirements, which was why the US government is re-evaluating the visa restrictions.
“We have accomplished so much within a very difficult year, but essentially, we want to acknowledge and put on record Nigeria’s response to the concerns by the United States government in respect of the immigrant visa restriction that was imposed on Nigerians.
“I want to say that we appreciate the acknowledgment and the commendations from the United States government in respect to this response.”