Egusi Soup popularly called melon soup can be prepared in variety of ways – International ,local or traditionally.
We have the high budget method and the low budget method of preparation. The main difference between both methods, is in the assemblage of ingredients.
High budget : Of course with the term ” high”, It signifies the presence of more ingredients animal protein, vegetables all in increased quantity and more market expenses.
Animal protein – any kind of meat ( goat , cow, chicken, snail , periwinkle etc )
Vegetables – bitterleaf, pumpkin,little quantity of water leave, Oha leave.
Low Budget ; just the basic method of preparation you know, ingredients in sizeable quantities with pocket friendly budget. Yea, if you want to prepare your melon soup the low budget style, see list of ingredients required and procedures involved.
- Cow Meat
- Dry fish
- Stock fish
- Ugu ( pumpkin) leave
- Egusi ( ground melon )
- Bitterleaf ( 2 leaves )
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash and steam meat, stockfish, and fish
- Add water to increase stock water – since steaming was done using little H20 quantity
- Add pepper and oil
- Cover and allow to boil.
- Add the ground egusi or melon, and Crayfish
- Immediately, stir it for some time to aid formation of little lump – to prevent it from being too smooth
- Add seasoning cube ( maggi) or any of your choice
- Add salt to taste
- Allow to boil ablittle
- Add your vegetable (s)
- Stir thoroughly for 2-3mins.
Note : In stage 3 , if you added much salt during steaming, do not add again, until after intermediate tasting of the soup.
Thank you for reading!