Four city of cape town officials were caught on camera, manhandling a man out of a shack meant for demolition while he was having his bath.
The Four law enforcement officials who were spotted in a viral video manhandling the naked man in Khayelitsha, now risk being suspended by the City of Cape Town.
In the video which went viral on Wednesday July 1, the man who was about bathing, was seen being dragged out of a shack and wrestled to the ground by officers. He however escaped from the officers and dashed back to his shack, which was partially torn down.
watch video below-
Reacting to the viral video in a statement released on Wednesday Night, the City’s executive director for safety and security Richard Bosman said they have initiated plans of suspending and applying disciplinary procedures against the four law enforcement officials.
The statement read;
“The suspension also ensures that staff are not targeted while on duty. We are saddened by the conduct depicted on the video footage, and we do not condone any forceful and dehumanising conduct by our staff members.
“The City takes these allegations very seriously, and while our staff are subjected to very challenging circumstances while carrying out anti-land invasion operations, which are to protect land earmarked for housing opportunities and other services.
“We will not condone violence of any nature by law enforcement staff. I have asked for the facts to be gathered as a matter of urgency and that the investigation is concluded without delay.
“After the removal of illegal structures, new attempts are made to invade again on a daily basis. There is an interdict in place as well as a recent court order which allows only 49 households to temporarily remain on the land until after the lockdown,” Bosman said.
“The City must also maintain this recent court order, which the community is aware of.”
The Oyo state government has announced some important guidelines which schools are expected to follow to ensure a smooth resumption in the state.
The State Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Olasunkanmi Olaleye who made the announcement on Wednesday July 1, said school heads, principals and teachers have undergone training on how to monitor and report any suspected case of Coronavirus.
An Emergency Operation Centers (EOCs) has been set up in the State capital and at the zonal levels. Incident Managers have also been appointed for each school in the state, and they are expected to report any emergency directly to the EOCs through special communication lines.
Each class will also have Warder whose obligation is to relate with the Incident Managers on his or her observations. Schools in the state must also observe compulsory hand-washing points at its entrances and at the entrance of each classroom. Alcohol-based sanitizers must also be provided for students and teachers.
“Throughout last week, what we have been doing was to train school heads and teachers of public and private schools, preparing them for this task of taking firm control of preventing the spread of Covid-19 into our schools as we resume.
“Each school has been mandated to strictly enforce social distancing and observe other protocols against Covid-19 among teachers and students as laid down by NCDC.
“Students are to come to school with their facemasks and follow instructions on the guidelines from the management, these are imperative the government cannot lock down forever and education is an aspect of life that should not be allowed to suffer backwardness.
“I can boldly tell you that with these measures in place, the children are more safer with us in school than even many homes, imagine situations whereby students are asked to go to private lessons that provided no safety measure, many follow their parents to the market and workplaces where possibility of contracting the virus is high, so they are rather better kept at school than home.”
The Commissioner also allayed fears of members of the public on risks associated with reopening of schools.
This is coming after the state government announced that teachers of public schools in the State are to resume on June 29, while students are to resume on July 6.
The Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos and the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, are to resume domestic operations on Wednesday, July 8.
Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, announced this on his twitter handle on Wednesday night.
He said date for commencement of international flights would be announced in due course.
The minister disclosed that Lagos and Abuja airports would resume operations on July 8, while Kano, Port Harcourt, Owerri and Maiduguri airports are to resume operations on July 11 and other airports would start operations on July 15.
The largest film festival acquisition deal in film history is now closed. Apple Studios has acquired world rights to Emancipation, the film package with Antoine Fuqua directing Will Smith in a Willam N.Collage-scripted action thriller about the harrowing escape of Peter, a runaway slave forced to outwit cold-blooded hunters and the unforgiving swamps of Louisiana on a tortuous journey North where he joined the Union Army.
There were seven bidders when the packagewas brought to market lastweek as the signature film in the Virtual Cannes market. Bidding zoomed past $75 million, and the field got down to Warner Bros andApple, and the latter finally closed the deal last night. Sources said the commitment comes in at $105 million net, but when backend gross buyouts are factored in, deal will exceed $120 million when all is said and done. Collage is being paid mid seven figures for his script. Domestic rights were brokered by CAA Media Finance and overseas was brokered by FilmNation Entertainment. The film will premiere in theaters and then around the world on Apple TV .
According to reports, Pictures will be produced by Apple Studios, alongside Smith and his Westbrook Studios, Fuqua and his Fuqua Films, Escape Artists’ Todd Black and Joey McFarland of McFarland Entertainment. James Lassiter and Jon Mone will serve in a producing capacity through Westbrook. Cliff Roberts is exec producer. The concept came from McFarland and he and Roberts enlisted star and filmmaker.
While the filmmakers have been working on this one for two years, there is an eerie parallel to the footage of George Floyd that sparked protests across the country and reforms that have spread beyond policing and reaching even the corridors of Hollywood. The story of Peter was also fueled by an indelible image, after he showed his bare back during an Army medical examination. The photos taken of the scars from a whipping delivered by an overseer on the plantation got published and seen around the world in 1863. The picture gave the abolitionist cause indisputable proof of the cruelty of slavery in America, and when the photo reached around the world, legend has it that it made countries like France refuse to buy cotton from the South. The photo, commonly called The Scourged Back, solidified the cause of abolitionists and the rest of the world against slavery and prompted many free blacks to join the Union Army.
Fuqua noted that the photograph was “the first viral image of the brutality of slavery that the world saw, which is interesting, when you put it into perspective with today and social media and what the world is seeing, again. You can’t fix the past, but you can remind people of the past and I think we have to, in an accurate, real way. We all have to look for a brighter future for us all, for everyone. That’s one of the most important reasons to do things right now, is show our history. We have to face our truth before we can move forward.”
The film will use all that as historical background, but at heart it is an action thriller with a powerful emotional core that involves Peter’s death-defying journey to escape his captors. Using onions to mask his scent from pursuing bloodhounds, and his strength and smarts to survive running barefoot through the swamps for 10 days, the tale takes a turn reminiscent of such survival tales as the Mel Gibson-directedApocalypto.
The intention is to begin production early 2021.
Fuqua told Deadline –
“It hit my heart and my soul in so many ways that are impossible to convey but I think you understand,” . “We’re watching some of the feeling that I had, in the streets right now. There’s sadness, there’s anger, there’s love, faith and hope as well because of what I see young people doing today.
They’re doing all the heavy lifting now. Black, white, brown, yellow, you name it. They’re out in the street, they’re young, and they’re standing up for their future. That’s important to see, and the most hopeful thing that I’m seeing, that they’re not going to stand for it anymore. I had all those feelings with I read the script. As a filmmaker, everything I’ve done up to this point in my life, and not just filmmaking but living as a black man in this country, having my own issues, and then having children and a family and being married. It hit home, because this is at heart a film about family, about love. Faith, the idea that Peter never gave up and he fought tooth and nail to get back to his family.
That is an important story to tell. The slavery and the brutality, most people are familiar with it. People who care to know about it are familiar with it. I found it brutal and I found it entertaining in a way because of the journey it took me on, Peter’s journey. What’s amazing about it is, this is based on fact and deep research.” That includes, Fuqua said, diaries that Peter kept.
The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Sani Aliyu has disclosed that the the West Africa Examination Council (WAEC) timetable is not determined by Nigeria.
Aliyu in an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Wednesday July 1, noted that the Federal Government will not want a serious spill-over in the nation’s academic calendar that will affect graduating students.
He also averred that there is need to find a way to safely get these students to do their exams and exit, to avoid such spill-overs.
“We have a large number of students that are in their exit year. They need to move on. We have exams that are not specific only to Nigeria but in West Africa, WAEC for instance.
“We need to find a way to safely get these students to do their exams and exit, otherwise we will have a serious spill-over when it comes to education.
“COVID will go away eventually. It may take a year or longer, but what we don’t want is to have such a significant impact on our educational programme where children are unable to move at home where there is no mobility.”
The United States Department of Health services has bought almost the entire next three month’s supply of breakthrough Coronavirus drug remdesivir for itself, leaving the rest of the world possibly without any supply for the next three months.
Trump’s administration has bought the next 500,000 doses of the anti-viral drug, Remdesvir, from manufacturer Gilead, a figure that represents Gilead’s entire production for July, and 90% of all the drug that the company will produce throughout August and September.
At first, 140,000 doses of the drug was delivered to countries all over the world for trials and it was during this time the drug’s success rate in treating patients was discovered.
The company first created it as treatment for Ebola, but with it’s success in treating covid-19 patients, the company now plans to charge American patients $3,200 for six doses.
White House immunologist Dr Anthony Fauci in April said remdesivir cannot cure or prevent Covid-19, but hospitalized patients given the drug were found to recover 31% faster than those who weren’t given the drug.
US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, praised the US buy saying:
‘President Trump has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans have access to the first authorized therapeutic for Covid-19.
‘To the extent possible, we want to ensure that any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it. The Trump administration is doing everything in our power to learn more about life-saving therapeutics for Covid-19 and secure access to these options for the American people.’
UK doctor and scientist, Dr Andrew Hill from the University of Liverpool reacting to the US’ hoarding of the drug told The Guardian: ‘They’ve got access to most of the drug supply (of remdesivir), so there’s nothing for Europe.’
“Remdesivir is under Gilead’s patent, meaning no other drug company can manufacture its own supplies.”
Fox News has fired host Ed Henry of America’s Newsroom after an investigation into an allegation of sexual misconduct was leveled by a former employee.
Fox News Media CEO Suzanne Scott and FOX News Media President & Executive Editor Jay Wallace made the announcement in a memo to all employees on Wednesday, July 1.
According to the memo, the network received a complaint from a former employee’s attorney about allegations of willful sexual misconduct years ago. Fox News immediately retained an outside law firm, and based on the investigation’s finding, Henry has been terminated.
“We would like to bring a very serious matter to your attention in an effort toward full transparency given the many actions we have taken to improve the culture here over the last four years,” the memo said.
“On Thursday, June 25, we received a complaint about Ed Henry from a former employee’s attorney involving willful sexual misconduct in the workplace years ago. We immediately retained an outside law firm (which has never represented FOX News in investigation or litigation) to independently investigate the claims. Ed was suspended the same day and removed from his on-air responsibility pending investigation. Based on investigating findings, Ed has been terminated.”
Fox News said rotating anchors would fill in at “America’s Newsroom” for an interim period. Sandra Smith will remain on the program in her co-anchor role.
“Fox News Media strictly prohibits all forms of sexual harassment, misconduct and discrimination,” the network executives said in their statement. “We will continue striving to maintain a safe and inclusive workplace for all employees.”
Henry was promoted to a news anchor by Fox News back in December 2019 after years serving as the network’s chief national corespondent and co-host of the opinion show Fox & Friends Weekend. Prior to joining Fox News back in 2011, Henry was a White House correspondent for CNN.
The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency has announced a new price band of N140.80 to N143.80 per litre for Premium Motor Spirit, also known as petrol.
Sources at the Abuja headquarters of the agency said the rise in petrol price was primarily due to the increase in global crude oil prices.
A circular released on Wednesday July 1, from the PPPRA to marketers reads;
“After a review of the prevailing market fundamentals in the month of June and considering marketers’ realistic operating costs, as much as practicable, we wish to advise a new PMS pump price band of N140.80-N143.80 per litre for the month of July 2020.
All marketers are advised to operate within the indicative prices as advised by the PPPRA.”
The federal government, in March, announced that the retail price of petrol would be adjusted monthly to reflect realities in the global crude oil market. On May 31, 2020, the PPPRA announced a price band of N121.50 to N123.50 per litre for the product.