The etisalat prize for literature is the first pan African literary price that celebrates,African writers with debut published books on fiction. This leading platform discovers and promote African literary talent.
The opening date for submission is 3rd July 2017 , and closing deadline is 18th September 2017.
The Chief executive officer of Etisalat Nigeria Matthew willsher disclosed that the panel of judges comprise of very experienced writers,academics,literary critics, and editors, the likes of Harry Garuba, Siphiwo Mahala, and Doreen Baingana.
WHAT TO KNOW
the judges will select a long list of 9 titles for the first round,afterwards a second round of screening where a shortlist of 3 finalist will be announced ahead of the 2018 grand finale/award ceremony.
CRITERIA FOR ENTRY
- Author must be an African citizen, with residence in any part of the world.
- Books submitted must be published 24months from the date of the call for entries.
- Book must be authors first publication on fiction
- Book should contain no fewer than 30,000 words.
- Entries must be submitted by incorporated publishing house that has existed for 6years or more with registered ISBN or the equivalent, and publisher must have published a minimum of 3 authors .
Note; A publisher may enter a maximum of 3 titles. 7copies of each title entered must accompany the application form, along with an acceptance of the Etisalat price publicity term :
Winner receives £15,000 , an engraved montblanc meisterstuck pen along side an etisalat sponsored fellowship at the University of East Anglia under the mentorship of professor Giles Foden author “The last king of Scotland ”
Winner and the 2 runner ups will also participate in a multicity book tour sponsored by etisalat.
If you do not meet up with the entry criteria , no need to feel discouraged. You can also take a look at the flash fiction award, an online based competition open to all African writers with unpublished stories of no more than 300words.
Winner of the flash fiction award receives £1000, and a high-end device, while the other runner-ups receive £500 each along with a high -end device.