Hilda Bassey, 27 years old Nigerian Chef has surpassed the Guinness world record for the longest cooking hours by an individual.
The current record holder, Lata Tandon, an Indian national, cooked for 87 hours 45 minutes in 2019.
Hilda who is from Akwa Ibom state, surpassed the record this morning and is set to break a new record of 96 hours. She intends to cook till 4pm today May 15, as Nigerians await the official confirmation by the Guinness Book of Records.
What to know about Hilda Bassey and the Cook-a-thon
1. Her real name is Hilda Bassey Effiong. She is a young Nigerian chef from Akwa Ibom State. She owes a food brand in Lagos called “My Food by Hilda”
2. She will be cooking for 4 days non-stop.
3. She must stand to cook, she is not permitted to sit while cooking.
4. She’s not allowed to take coffee, stimulants, or any energy drink to artificially boost her energy and bodily strength while cooking
5. She’s allowed to eat food, drink water or fruit juice, & take glucose
6. The cooking is taking place at Amore Gardens, Lekki, Lagos State, Nigeria.
7. She cooks round the clock, no sleep (Morning, afternoon, evening, and night. So, for 4 nights, she won’t sleep)
8. She has just 5 minutes rest per hour [meaning for every 1 hour, she is entitled to just 5 minutes rest or break, that’s an hour break in every 12 hours].
Although, other sources claim she gets 30mins break every 6 hours.
9. Whatever she cooks is shared to the people at the venue for FREE. She is not selling the food.
10. She cooks different meals simultaneously. She is at liberty to cook any meal she likes. There are no restrictions as to what she can cook or not cook.
The World Record title is about cooking within a time frame, not about what is cooked. As long as she is cooking, she is on track.
11. Every meal cooked and every plate served is recorded.
12. She has cooked over 115 meals so far with almost 3,000 portions if not more by the time you are reading this.
13. She started the cooking on Thursday and is expected to complete the target time frame by Monday 15th May, 2023 evening.
14. The current holder of the title Hilda seeks to break is an Indian chef Lata Tandon, who set a Guinness World Record for cooking for 87 hours and 45 minutes non-stop in 2019.
15. To break the record, Hilda Baci is attempting to cook for 96 hours, using extra 9 hours to break the world record as the first human on earth to spend such an amount of time cooking a marathon.
16. She tagged the cooking project “Cook-a-thon”,
17. Most of the food items, ingredients, utensils, etc she used for this project are provided by her sponsors. So, the money expended on this project is not 100% from Hilda or her Food brand.
18. Uber, one of her partners is offering a 40% discounted ride to the venue for people who wishes to join and cheer her up at the venue.
19. Hilda’s mum is also a chef. She owns a food brand called “Calabar Pot”